Number of lessons per week: 2
The programme of study for Year 9 hair and beauty will include all of the topics mentioned below. Each topic is contained in the VTCT/NVQ hair and beauty specification to allow students greater knowledge and understanding of key issues before embarking on a full qualification in hair and/or beauty.
Programme of study:
- Make up
- Manicure / Pedicure
- Styling women’s hair
- Hair pin ups
Progression to Year 10 and 11:
- NVQ Hairdressing
- VTCT – Level 2 certificate in hair and beauty therapy.
Post 16 courses:
- NVQ Level 2 Hair and Beauty
VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ)
Aim of the Course:
This qualification has been developed for learners aged 14-16 with an interest in hairdressing and/or beauty therapy. It aims to support young people to:
– develop a broad understanding of the hair and beauty sector
– develop significant knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries
– develop academic and study skills that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector and more broadly, across the range of sectors.
Learners will gain an understanding of the hair and beauty sector and undertake a research project. They will also have the opportunity to study business enterprise, marketing and promotions in hair and beauty, to look at the science of hair and beauty and to respond to a hair and beauty design brief.
The areas that students study are:
- Understanding the hair and beauty sector (mandatory)
- Hair and beauty research project (mandatory)
And two optional units from below:
Business enterprise in hair and beauty
- Marketing and promotions in hair and beauty
- Hair and beauty science
- Responding to a hair and beauty design brief
Learners who successfully achieve this qualification could progress to vocationally-related qualifications, including:
- Level 2 Certificate in Fashion and Photographic Make-Up
- Level 2 Certificate/Diploma in Beauty Specialist Techniques
- Level 2 Certificate/Diploma in Hairdressing
- Level 2 Certificate/Diploma in Barbering
- Level 2 Diploma in Hair and Media Make-Up
- Level 2 Diploma in Nail Technology
- Level 3 Diploma in Aromatherapy
- Level 3 Diploma in Massage
- Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
Learners could also progress to an apprenticeship in:
- Hairdressing (combined hair types)
- African-Type Hairdressing
- Beauty Therapy General
- Beauty Therapy Make-Up
- Nail Services
The qualification may also be useful to those seeking to progress to qualifications in the following sectors/industries:
- Complementary and alternative therapies
- Spa therapy
- Fashion and photography
- Retail – cosmetic and fashion
- Theatre and media
Specialist resources / Environments:
The course will take place in the academy’s superbly equipped salons which are managed commercially to provide a Realistic Working Environment for the students. Initially you will be working with other students or on training heads, and then for assessment, clients will be booked into the salons or you can bring in friends and family for Hair & Beauty services.
One of the mandatory units (Understanding the Hair and Beauty Sector) is assessed by an online exam which is externally marked.
All internally assessed units in this qualification are assessed by an assignment which covers all learning outcomes. Assignments are externally set by VTCT, internally assessed and moderated by the centre and externally moderated by VTCT.